Warmer Homes Scheme

See  what technologies are covered by the scheme and eligibility criteria

Eligible Measures


Wall Insulation (Cavity, External and Internal)

Underfloor and floating floor Insulation

Loft and Room in Roof Insulation

Air Source Heat Pump

Solar PV

Energy Efficient Lighting

Heating Controls and Thermostats

Eligibility Criteria

You must reside in Northumberland AND

Have an Energy performance certificate of D,E,F,G AND

Have a total annual gross (including tax) household income of below £36,000 for 1 or 2 person households. Households with a larger occupancy the Government’s equivalisation factor can be applied, increasing the threshold for household income by £4,000 per person up to £44k. For households with 3 persons, the income is £40k and for 4 or more £44k. Personal Independence payments (PIP) and Attendance Allowance is disregarded but all other benefit income and all household members income are considered unless one qualifies by another route listed OR

The annual gross (include tax) household income after deducting mortgage payments is below £20,000. OR

Child in receipt of free school meal OR

Household in receipt of means tested benefits such as:

o   Council tax reduction (not including single person discount)

o   Universal credit

o   Child or Working tax credit

o   Income Based ESA

o   Pension Credit (guaranteed or savings)

Example evidence of household income

A full copy of current means-tested benefit or tax credits award letter showing all applicants name(s) and address(s) including council tax reduction (benefit); universal credit; tax credits; pension credit or income based ESA

For evidence of wages: 2 months or 5 weeks of payslips (issued within the last 3 months)

For occupational pensions: 2 months’ payslips (issued within the last 3 months) or most recent current annual award letter

For self-employed: Most recent HMRC tax return showing annual income

Current non-means-tested benefit award letter (such as state retirement pension, contributory ESA, PIP or Attendance Allowance) and/or

Full months bank statement of each adult resident issued within last 3 months that clearly shows income.

For larger households the Council may also require evidence of the household size - such as a child benefit award letter

Alternative Schemes

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO4)

There are some general FAQs for the ECO4 scheme on Ofgem's website.


The Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS)

If households are just looking for help with installing a single insulation measure they can apply for the Great British Insulation Scheme.


The LEAP Boiler Scheme

There is a winter emergency fund for vulnerable households (over 65, under 5 or certain health conditions) if their gas boiler has broken down/been condemned, or keeps intermittently breaking down. https://applyforleap.org.uk/the-leap-boiler-scheme/ 

Applying for ECO4

Some energy suppliers have applications for ECO4 on their websites. Some contract all of their obligation out to management agents/installers who deal with the applications. 

Eon Next advertise flexible eligibility applications as well as the means-tested benefits route.


The others allow  residents to apply direct who are in receipt of means-tested benefits.






Contact phone numbers and email addresses for all 13 obligated energy suppliers can be found on Ofgem's website: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-and-social-schemes/energy-company-obligation-eco/contacts-guidance-and-resources/eco-supplier-contact-details 

If a household is approached by an installer claiming to be working on the ECO4 or GBIS schemes then they can check if they are registered on the government endorsed quality scheme TrustMark. The TrustMark website will show what measures a company is licensed to install. https://www.trustmark.org.uk/homeowner